GATHER THE INGREDIENTS
- 2 cups water
- 3⁄4 cup cashews
- 1⁄2 cup organic sugar
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 12 oz dark chocolate, cut into small pieces
- 12 oz Unsalted European Style Plant Milk Butter
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2 tbsp bourbon or brandy
1. Pull the butter out of the fridge, and let it sit at room temperature while performing the following steps.
2. Combine the water and cashews in a high-speed blender and process on high for a minute until smooth and creamy.
3. Pour this into a heavy bottom pot along with the sugar and cornstarch and bring to a simmer until a thick custard-like consistency.
4. Turn off the heat and let it cool for 10 minutes, then add the chocolate, stirring to melt.
MIX AND COOL
5. Transfer the mixture to the bowl of a stand mixture, and using the balloon attachment, whip on high. If it was slightly grainy, it should become smooth as you whip.
6. When it's very smooth, turn off the mixture and let it sit for an hour or more to cool until it is below 80° F. If you'd like, you can put it in the refrigerator to expedite, but don’t let it harden.
7. Start to add the butter, a small knob at a time, adding more as each piece is incorporated. As you add more butter, the color will become lighter and the texture, fluffier.
8. When all the butter has been incorporated and the mixture is very light and fluffy, add the vanilla and whip to combine.
Note: The ideal combined temperature for the butter and chocolate custard is 60 degrees Fahrenheit.